The festival of Timkat celebrates the baptism of Christ, and is considered to be Ethiopia’s most spectacular event.
Timkat (which means “baptism”) is the Ethiopian Orthodox celebration of Epiphany. This is a way to celebrate the baptism of Jesus in the Jordan River. The Tabot, a prototype of the Ark of the Covenant is wrapped and carried by the priest on the head during the procession. This is a manifestation of Jesus as the Messiah, the time he was baptized at the Jordan River.
The overnight event is so appealing that pilgrims from all over the world gather to witness. The clergy wearing robes and umbrellas of different shades performing dances and songs as the elders match with their weapons. It’s everyone’s happy day with spirited dances and rhythmic songs. After the ark is returned to its place, the crowds disperse and go home for merry making and feasting!
- International flight
- 4* accommodation double/twin Bed basis
- Meal: full board basis.
- Attending 2 days epiphany ceremony in Addis Ababa.
- Half-day Addis Ababa city tour.
- English speaking guide service.
- All ground transportation
- Transfer from/to airport.
- Any other expenses which are not mentioned on price include section
- Single Room Supplement: 60 USD
- Extra night Room Price : 60.00 USD per person
- Minimum stay : 2 days
- Maximum stay: 1 month